Friday, September 5, 2008

Cruise to nowhere

I'm so glad to be back home and blogging.
As you may know I left MS last Wed. Aug 27 after class, and headed to TX. My dad drove in and stayed with the girls, and took them to school and then drove them back to TX Sat. We got up early Thurs and headed to Galveston to get on our cruise ship. The original itenerary was leave Galveston Thurs at 4~ sail all day Fri to Cozumel Spend all dat Sat ion Cozumel, and sail all day Sun, get in to Galveston 8 am Mon morning pick up the girls in CS and drive back home MS so that I could attend class Tues & Wed to prepare for the test Thurs. morning at 8 am.

Well needless to say Gustav had other plans for our cruise.
As we boarded the ship in Galveston we were handed a letter that said we would be going to Veracrux, Mexico instead due to the hurricane Gustav.
We set sail everything is going great except... I might as well mention that on Wed I had a sinus headache, and Thurs morning woke up with a sore throat that only got worse through out the day. Friday morning we wake up, and they tell us that we will be sailing to Progreso due to a tropical depression forming over Veracruz. At this point I took a dramamine due to my uneasy stomach (BTW now I have a sore throat and my nose is stuffy) The dramammine made me so sleepy that I slept most of the afternoon while everybody played outside at the pool.
Friday night I was definitly the party pooper. I was still a little drowsy, and felt awful. How terrible is that? To be sick and sea sick on vacation....yuck! This night (Friday) I put on one of the sea sick patches. The kind that go behind your ear.
Saturday morning we get up and dock in Progreso. It was sooooo hot! We spent the day hanging out on the beach. Atleast on Saturday I wasn't sea sick, just fwlt bad from not being able to breath and my runny nose. We get back on the ship, and head back to TX. Sunday morning there was an announcement that the port of Galv. was closed due to the hurricane and would not reopen until Wed. morning. So I franticly called my teachers, to tell them what happened, finally got a hold of one, and she said not to worry we would figure something out.
I called my parents and then kids were glad they would get to stay in TX for a few more days.
So we spent the next 3 days circling the Gulf. Our Capt went south of TX into the Mexican waters b/c so many people were sick from the huge waves caused by the hurricane. Finally Monday night I got some medicine from the ship Dr. and felt much better Tuesday!
We docked in Galveston Wed morning around 9, and after getting off the ship, and going through customs, we left Galv about 12, and headed back to CS. We picked up the girls and headed back to MS. getting in about 12 midnight.
Needless to say I'm so glad to be home again.
I will be studying all weekend for the make-up test I will need to take on Monday morning.
I'll post some pics tomorrow!


No comments: